Financial Planning: Lagging Behind

Individuals contributed $754 million nationally to HSAs in 2005 and withdrew $360 million, according to the GAO. Because HSAs have only been available in their current form since 2004, balances are still relatively small. As of Jan. 31, HSAs held a total of $9.1 billion in assets, according to a study by Information Strategies of New York. As of Jan. 31, 94% of HSA assets were in cash and the remaining 6% in securities, according to Devenir, a Minneapolis broker-dealer that handles about half the HSAs in the United States.